CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

For the little people known as kindergarteners...

Today I will begin blogging about my adventures, learnings, and thoughts towards teaching. My experiences in education are not as vast as some others, but I believe they are valuable. I believe in our children, even those who are often seen as unlikely to succeed. I thrive when I see young people growing and learning in unique and exciting ways. My hope for all of my students is that they learn at least one thing while they are in my classroom...I want them to know that, "They are special, and they CAN learn". So many students that I meet day to day have been told that they can't, I want to share with my students that they CAN and they WILL. There is a moment, when you have been working with a child for a while, when all of a sudden you see the glimmer in the child's eye...the moment when the child realizes that they have had success. It is these moments that drive me to continue my learning as an educator...it is these moments that get me through all of the challenges I face each day in the classroom.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Data, Data, and more Data!

Hey blogger friends! It has been a while since my last post, but I had good reason, I have been in my classroom getting ready for this year's kiddos to start on Monday! I can't wait to meet all of my students and to start learning with them.

Onto today's post...data! We are constantly collection data on our kids. At our school, in the older grade levels, each student has a data notebook. They use these notebooks to keep track of how they are doing in preparing for the FCAT, our state test. Well, this year, I decided to implement data notebooks into my kindergarten class. I believe it is great for our students to have goals and to know where they are at in meeting their goals. Each month I will conference with each student to discuss a learning goal that they would like to set for that month. It could be learning more letters, writing their name, or even drawing a person. Then, we will work on that goal together for the month. That goal sheet will go into their data notebook which will include this Data Packet. Our school is focusing on the basic skills this year in order to help our students become better readers and mathematicians. Here is the data packet I created.

Each of the pages in this packet lists different skills. When I am testing students I will mark the letters, numbers, words, etc. that they know. Then, the students will take the folder to their seats and color/trace the items that I have marked. For my students this will be like graphing what they know. For some of the skills I will simply write a date once the child has mastered the skill. Students will practice writing their names, drawing a person, and following directions once each quarter in their data notebooks. It will be great to have a folder to pull out during conferences to show parents how their child has grown over the course of the school year! At the end of the year the students will have a wonderful collection of many skills we cover in kindergarten! Thanks to Scrappin Doodles for the super clip art! Click here to view the data packet in Google Documents. It looks much better than the one on Scribd.com!
Kindergarten Assessment

If for some reason you cannot download this item, or if it does not download neatly, post your email and I will gladly email you the original file. Some of the alignment seemed to be off when I uploaded to scribd.com!

5 comments:

Ms. Preppy said...

This is great!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Ms. Preppy's Adventures in Primary and Polka Dots

Unknown said...

Hello! Can you send me this document please! jemock@warsaw.k12.in.us
Thank you!

D'Angelo said...

Would you please send me this document? When I try to open it with google docs, it says I do not have permission to open it :(
Thanks!
cdangelo@chatham.k12.nc.us

Anonymous said...

can you please email me this please?
Anna.Herring@mnps.org

Thank you!

Debbie said...

This is great!! Can you email me this please? drobitaille3@gmail.com

Thank you :)

Debbie Robitaille