CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

For the little people known as kindergarteners...

Today I will begin blogging about my adventures, learnings, and thoughts towards teaching. My experiences in education are not as vast as some others, but I believe they are valuable. I believe in our children, even those who are often seen as unlikely to succeed. I thrive when I see young people growing and learning in unique and exciting ways. My hope for all of my students is that they learn at least one thing while they are in my classroom...I want them to know that, "They are special, and they CAN learn". So many students that I meet day to day have been told that they can't, I want to share with my students that they CAN and they WILL. There is a moment, when you have been working with a child for a while, when all of a sudden you see the glimmer in the child's eye...the moment when the child realizes that they have had success. It is these moments that drive me to continue my learning as an educator...it is these moments that get me through all of the challenges I face each day in the classroom.

Friday, July 15, 2011

More great ideas that cost very little...

I have three things that I want to focus on this year as far as my classroom set-up and organization.

First, I want my tables to be neat and organized. I want my students to know that everything in our classroom has a home.

Second, I want my students to be able to work independently and in pairs. This is hard in a classroom of 18 kindergarteners because it seems no matter what I do they end up sitting right next to someone else or a group other than their own. So, the goal is to make work stations very clear but also flexible because I do not always have the same number of kids in each group.

Third, I want my students to know exactly what they are allowed to do when they have completed their work. Again, this is difficult in kindergarten because finding activities that are truly self led can be challenging!

The GOOD NEWS, day two of my blogging I have solved all three of the above problems, thanks to some other people and their great ideas! So, here goes!

My student tables this year will feature premade icing containers. Simply wash the container, cut pencil size holes in the lid and you have inexpensive pencil holders that if knocked over will not create a distraction for other tables! If you really want to get fancy, attach a strip of velcro to the bottom of the canister...it will keep the canister in place but allow you to take it off of the table for bigger projects! Messy tables no longer!

On to how to keep those squirmy kindergarteners in one place...HULA HOOPS! That's right, when you have a folder center or workshop where students can work on the floor, put them in a hula hoop. This will keep each pair or individual in their own space. So SIMPLE...but yet SO good. For more great ideas like the Hula Hoops and Icing containers visit http://patricia_f.tripod.com/tips.html and http://www.kidschalkboard.com/.

And for that time when students have a few minutes of down time...chart folders. A binder filled with charts and laminated pages which students can take out whenever there is downtime. These charts could change throughout the year or be added to as students learn more skills. And the final idea, a digitial picture frame to flash sight words, letters, or numbers. The frame will hang on the wall in the front of the classroom. It will be a constant activity for my students when they have finished their work. (Thanks to www.teachertipster.com for these awesome ideas:)!)

I can't wait to get into my classroom to start setting up for this school year. It will be exciting to see how these organizational changes will enhance the learning my students do.

1 comment:

Fran Kramer said...

I have a digital frame with sight words in my classroom right near the bathroom and the kids would wet their pants because they loved watching the words change out! It was hilarious and I finally moved it. True story!
Fran@kindergartencrayons